Hi everybody! I got back from Cape Cod on Saturday and remembered I had to do a blog post! (To all my sewing followers, I apologize, this post really has more to do with fashion design then sewing. I try to keep an even balance between my sewing and my fashion design posts, so feel free to skip this post if it doesn’t interest you.)
So, today, I am doing a review on Copic markers! I was having trouble with Sharpies and other markers, just because they don’t have enough colors and they wear out way too fast. Then I remembered Copic markers, which I’ve known about for a while but haven’t really looked into enough. I decided to order some, and I LOVE them.
What are Copic Markers?
Copic markers are a kind of marker that were invented and are made in Japan. Lots of people use them for Manga and Anime there, but they have many other uses, like comics, fashion design, calligraphy, and drawing! They make four types of these markers (wide, ciao, sketch, and original) but I only own the sketch kind, so that’s what I’ll be reviewing.
photo credit deviantart.com
First, let’s start with the pros.
1. They come in over 350 colors! Lots of choices!
2. The color and name of the marker is on the cap, making it easy to grab and draw.
3. They’re so light and easy to hold!
4. You never have to buy a new marker. You can refill the ink and replace the nibs. This is a feature of the marker that I really like! An ink refill is the same price as a marker, but it can refill one sketch marker up to seven times.
5. Tutorials. There are tons of videos on youtube about how to use the markers!
6. Two ends. The marker has two tips, a fine tip and a medium tip.
Now for the cons, I don’t really have many!
1. They bleed. Only through about two sheets of paper, but they bleed nonetheless. This can be avoided though, but buying marker paper or mixed media paper, which is thicker.
2. The price. One sketch marker can be from six to eight dollars on amazon.com, making it pricier then most markers. The shipping is free most of the time, though. You can also buy copics at Joann’s (online only, though, and the shipping is not free) or at Michael’s (they have tons in the store). The reason the price is so high is because of the quality of the markers, professionals use them, you never have to buy another marker, more colors…what I’m saying is that the price is worth it.
So, that’s my review! Search these markers online and check them out in action. Have a good day!
Note: the Copic Marker company did not ask me to write this review, I did it of my own accord because I wanted to let everyone know what I think of them.